Strange but true...
- Prior to regional reorganisation, the Scottish county with the highest mean height above sealevel was...Peeblesshire.
- The most northerly hill visible from Glasgow is Ben Lui - 1130m high and some 72 km or 45 miles distant from Queen's Park flagpole, one of numerous places from where it can be seen.
- Ben Macdhui, highest of the Cairngorms and 2nd highest hill in Scotland, is nearer to Fort William than it is to Aberdeen.
- The Scottish river with the shortest name is the River E in the northern Monadhliath. It is closely followed in etymological abruptness by the Water of Ae, NW of Lochmaben.
- Hills with ridiculously long names include the Munro, Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain, part of Beinn a'Ghlo, and the Corbett, Meallan Liath Coire Mhic Dhugaill in the far northwest - 26 & 29 letters respectively.
- The named river (rather than burn or tributary) commonly held to be the shortest in length is the River Morar - no more than 4km from Loch Morar to the beginning of tidal waters. Its shortness seems all the more remarkable given that Loch Morar, at its head, contains possibly the deepest inshore waters in the whole of Europe, at over 300m.
- On exceptionally clear days from the summit of Lochnagar on Deeside, the Cheviot in England can be seen, over 160km, or 100 miles away.
- Scottish hills which have visitor's books at their summits include Sron a'Choire Ghairbh above the Great Glen, and Mam Sodhail above Glen Affric.
- The band Deacon Blue filmed part of the video for their hit single "Fergus sings the blues" on top of the Dumpling above Gartocharn on 25th April 1989. Sad to say, local worthy Tom Weir failed to make an appearance on this, his favourite hill.
- Vibram soles are named after their Italian originator, Vitale Bramini.
- Despite the common belief that the Buachaille Etive Mor marks the eastern limit of Glen Coe, not one drop of its drainage descends into the Glen's catchment area. Everything eventually finds its way down Glen Etive - as, of course, the hill's name suggests.
TAC 1 Index